The Readings of 博士

  • ← You can select the display language.

    The Readings of 博士


    I have a 博士 degree in engineering.

    博士 means “Doctor,” “Doctor of Philosophy,” or ” knowledgeable professional,” and it has two different readings — hakase and hakushi.

    Generally, 博士 is read as hakase.

    For example, when calling a well-informed person (物知り博士 read as monoshiri hakase) or an expert (専門家 read as senmonka) with respect, you should say hakase.

    Meanwhile, it is read as hakushi when describing an official doctoral degree in Japan.

    Incidentally, we often use the English term “doctor” or “PhD” instead of hakushi.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *